Lasting Power of Attorneys (LPA)

These documents are just as important as having a professionally written Will. Whilst we look to get our affairs in order when we die, we rarely consider the consequences of what might happen should we become unable to make decisions for ourselves, whether this is through dementia, or loss of mental faculties through an accident or illness.

Do I need an LPA?

You may think that family members are automatically legally entitled to handle your affairs if you are no longer able to do so yourself. However, this is not the case. Only a Lasting Power of Attorney allows you to appoint someone you trust (your Attorney) to make decisions on your behalf in the event you lose the capacity to make these decisions for yourself in the future.

Which LPA do I need?

  • Manage your bank accounts (including current accounts, building society accounts and savings) Pay bills (including setting up and stopping Direct Debits)
  • Collect and manage payments such as benefits and pensions (private and state)
  • Sell or buy property and other assets
  • Choose a home care company or residential placement for you
  • Arrange your meals
  • Organise your social activities
  • Make decisions regarding medical treatment (including life-sustaining treatment or end of life care)

Please note that these lists are not exhaustive, and your Attorneys can make a variety of other decisions on your behalf.

What happens if I don’t have an LPA?

Watch “Martin Lewis on Wills & Lasting Power of Attorney” on YouTube

An LPA must be made whilst you still have the mental capacity to manage your own financial affairs. Once mental faculty is lost, it is too late to start an LPA. In which case, someone would have to start the lengthy (upwards of one year) and costly (running into the £1000s) process of applying for Deputyship through the Court of Protection to be able to manage your affairs.

During this time your assets would be frozen, and no decisions could be made on your behalf. Could you wait that long to access funds or reach decisions on care needs?

You cannot control who applies for Deputyship and in some cases your Local Authority may seek permission to make decisions on your behalf.

Without a (LPA)Lasting Power of Attorney!

(Health and Welfare. Property and Financials.)

You will have to apply for a Deputyship Order through the Courts.

Which can be very expensive, long winded very in convenient.

For more information or to book your FREE will review, call me

Jeff Clarkson at A Save & Prosper today on 01908 590347 07973 283398

Alternatively, fill in the call-back form on this page.

Don’t let the Government decide who should benefit from your estate- write YOUR Will.

…Leave a legacy for your family!

Or lose it to your Local Care Authority!

A Common-sense approach to Estate Planning!